The Department of Health confirms it has notified every person who came in close contact with the first diagnosed patient in Ireland with coronavirus.
The patient, who is understood to be a woman had recently travelled from Italy to Belfast via Dublin airport.
Passengers who were sitting within two rows on the plane of the infected individual are thought to be most at risk.
Health officials say contact tracing is now completed. Dr. John Cuddihy says the HSE also made contact with all other passengers who were on the plane.
NEW: Contact tracing is now completed. All persons identified as a close contact of the patient have been notified.
General public should continue to follow @HSELive & @hpscireland advice to protect their health.#COVID19 | @SimonHarrisTD | @CMOIreland |
— Department of Health (@roinnslainte) February 28, 2020
Not good enough. People are scared here…
So is that for 2 rows, or 6 rows?
On the plane? Or the shuttle bus too?
How about where they went in Dublin? What day did they travel? What time so people can check this themselves?
What a joke.
— FreeSpeechIRE (@FreeSpeechIE) February 28, 2020
Which train station & bus route was used from the Airport? #coronavirus #Coronavirusireland
— Annette McGuckin (@McguckinAnnette) February 28, 2020
Coronavirus is spread mainly from person-to-person.
- Between people who are in close contact with one another, roughly 3 feet.
- Via respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
- These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.
People are thought to be most contagious when they are the sickest. For most people, COVID-19 is a mild infection. In order to prevent infection people are advised to:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe