Dublin City Council has begun a tender process for a design team to begin conservation works at the Victorian Fruit and Vegetable Market on St Mary’s Lane in Dublin 7.
City Council officials say the grand old building, now dated and in need of obvious revitalisation, want to secure the landmark for future generations, while also creating a focal point in the local community and a catalyst for regeneration in the area.
Significant specialist conservation and structural works are required to safeguard the building. Dublin City Council has secured funding for these works, full approval is not expected until into next year.
Phase one of the project, a multi-use games area, public improvements and a car park-loading area, has been delivered under the planning permission granted.
Dublin City Fruit and Vegetable Wholesale Markets were designed in 1884 by Parke Neville, completed with modifications after his death in 1892 by Spencer Harty, his successor as City Engineer and was opened on the 6th December 1892 by the Right Honourable Joseph M. Meade, Lord Mayor.
The building occupied the whole block or former trade premises between Boot Lane (renamed St. Michan’s Street), Mary’s Lane, Arran Street East and Chancery Street (formerly Pill Lane).