Families of 47 of the Stardust fire victims have instructed their lawyers to postpone a planned inquest in October, until they recieve the legal aid payment as previously promised by government.
The long-awaited inquest into the 1981 tragedy is faltering over legal fees. 48 people died and more than 200 were injured in the tragic fire in Artane, forty years ago.
Survivor Antoinette Keegan says victims and their families have had enough.
”This is the way they have treated us for forty years, four decades and they’re not doing it anymore. We’re sick and tired of being systematically abused by the Department of Justice and the government.”
This is the second time the inquest has been postponed since it was granted in September 2019.
Dublin Bay North TD Labour TD Aodháin O Ríordáin says the Department of Justice must find a way to begin the inquest without anymore fuss:
”We are now forty years since the tragedy, that has affected so many lives since then and I think the Department of Justice just need to do whatever needs to be done to get this inquest up and running.”
It’s unlikely the inquest will be able to go ahead in October without the involvement of these 47 families.
STARDUST IMPORTANT NOTICE
The inquest for the 48 victims of the Stardust due to commence in October has now been postponed. This is a direct result of the Department Of Justice reneging on their commitment to ensure our legal team is funded in accordance with the legal aid rates.
— Justice for Stardust 48 (@48NeverCameHome) September 16, 2021