The annual shoebox event in aid of people experiencing homelessness is on again!
Replacing the annual Fill a Luas that took place in Connolly Station this new event “Fill an Xmas Truck” will take place on Thursday the 12th of December from 7am-7pm in Mountjoy Square Park.
Organisers of the event, Inner City Helping Homeless (ICHH), are inviting the public to come along and donate their festive shoeboxes. They are hoping to see 10,000-20,000 shoeboxes donated on the day.
They will also be providing our homeless friends with breakfast, lunch, dinner, pizzas, santa’s grotto, haircuts, snacks and other festive surprises.
ICHH have partnered up with Virginia Logistics, The Good Food Truck Company, Four Lane Pizza and Extreme Structures to make the event as successful as possible!
“After the continued success of our annual appeal this year is bigger and better than ever. #FillanXmasTruck will see up to 15,000 shoeboxes donated on the day from groups all over the country. We endeavour to make sure everyone in homeless services is given a gift and this year is no different. On the day families can come along and see Santa, breakfast, lunch & dinner is served for those who are in emergency accommodation. Over 750,000 people in this country are living in poverty, including 250,000 children, and this year will see us engage with over 5,000 families, supporting them over the Christmas period. #FillanXmasTruck gives companies and individuals the opportunity to donate directly to people who are less fortunate and we are encouraging all to come along on the day.” ICHH CEO Anthony Flynn said.
— ColmandLucy (@ColmandLucyK) December 11, 2019
Inner City Helping Homeless was founded in November 2013 as a result of the increased number of people sleeping rough around Dublin City. Members of the local community in the North Inner City came together to do a soup run around the city and on the first night over 40 volunteers turned up wanting to help. By 2014 ICHH was operating a 7 night a week outreach service all across Dublin City and secured their first premises on Killarney Street, Dublin 1. ICHH now have over 200 volunteers on our books and the office on Amiens St is open 14 hours a day, 5 days a week.
What to put in the Shoebox:
The idea is simple. Wrap a shoebox and mark it Male or Female. In the shoebox you can put the likes of:
- Toiletries: *No aerosols, perfumes, aftershaves, mouthwash or hand sanitizers
- Christmas Card
If you would like to donate a shoebox to a homeless child please specify the child’s age and whether they are male or female. In the shoebox for a child you could include the likes of:
- A small toy
- Mcdonalds voucher
- Smyths voucher
Other Shoebox Drop off points: (You can drop off to any of the points below before 13/12/19)
- The #ICHH Warehouse, 144A Slaney Close, Dublin Industrial Estate, Glasnevin, Dublin 11. Opened Monday to Friday 10am-5.30pm
- The #ICHH office, 67 Amiens St. Opened Monday to Friday until 10pm
- Mattress Mick stores in Pearse Street, Coolock and the Naas Road
- Ladbrokes Naas, Paceli Road, Naas, Co Kildare
- Baldoyle Auto Centre, 138 Grange Drive, Baldoyle Industrial Estate, Dublin 13
- Lucan Sarsfields GAA Club, 12th Lock, Newcastle Road, Co Dublin
- Des Kelly Interiors Branches
- Eastwall Community Centre, 18-26 Mary’s Road, East Wall, Dublin 3
- Near FM, Northside Civic Centre, Bunratty Road, Dublin 17
- NI Trucks: A&B M50 Business Park, Ballymount Avenue, Ballymount, Dublin 12
- Adrian Dunne Pharmacy, 3 Kish House, Greendale Road, Raheny, Dublin 5
- Northgate Vehicle Hire, 200A Northwest Business Park, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15
- Newpark Sports Centre, Newtown Park Avenue, Blackrock, County Dublin
- Kavanaghs Pub, Aughrim Street, Dublin 7
- An Siol Community Development, 19 Manor Street, Dublin 7
- The Snuff Box newsagents, Willow park crescent, glassnevin, Dublin 11.