The Department of Foreign Affairs has been in touch with authorities in the UAE over a boxing fight organised by Daniel Kinahan.
The Dublin man was described in court previously as playing an “integral part” in organising the supply of illegal drugs into Ireland.
He was name checked by Tyson Fury when his two fight deal with Anthony Joshua was announced this week.
The Taoiseach has confirmed that there has been contact between the Department of Foreign Affairs and the United Arab Emirates regarding Daniel Kinahan.
Responding to a question from Labour leader Alan Kelly in the Dáil on Thursday, Leo Varadkar said that he was “taken aback” when he heard WBC Heavyweight boxing champion Fury thank the Irishman for helping to make the fight happen in an animated instagram video message.
Tyson Fury posted a video on his social media pages on Wednesday that confirmed that a fight between him and Anthony Joshua, most likely for mid-2021.
The Taoiseach said: “While I can’t comment on any particular garda operation I can certainly assure you that there has been contact between the Department of Foreign Affairs and the authorities in the United Arab Emirates about that matter.”
Two years ago the High Court named the Dublin man as a senior figure in organised crime and found the criminal gang he “controlled and managed” was involved in drugs trafficking and firearms offences on an international scale.
Fine Gael Dublin TD Neale Richmond also called for action in relation to this development, in a lengthy statement released on Wednesday night.
Seriously concerning that Kinahan’s role as a gangland boss responsible for the misery of drugs & murder in our country is being completely whitewashed by the competitors as well as the authorities in Dubai. https://t.co/GvjprmUmbH
— Neale Richmond (@nealerichmond) June 10, 2020