Mason Greenwood remains in police custody following yesterday’s arrest on suspicion of rape and assault, with detectives granted additional time for questioning. Sports giant, Nike, who sponsor the 20-year-old, have ended their relations with the Manchester United youngster amid the latest allegations.
The Premier League footballer was arrested by Greater Manchester Police on Sunday, following allegations shared on social media over the weekend. Greenwood has not yet responded to the social media allegations, with the player currently unattainable whilst in police custody.
Greater Manchester Police said it had been made aware of “online social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence.” The force confirmed that “a man in his 20s has since been arrested on suspicion of rape and assault.”
GMP said detectives have been granted additional time “to speak to a man in his 20s, who is being held on suspicion of rape and assault of a woman. Inquiries are ongoing and the victim is being offered specialist support.”
Police have requested people, and news outlets to refrain from sharing information regarding the case, as it may affect the victim’s “right to lifelong anonymity”. Any such misjudgement could have dire consequences on the outcome of proceedings, rendering any due injustice to remain unserved. The images and allegations were reportedly visible on the woman’s Instagram, Sunday morning, and have been wildly shared.
Speaking on the Greenwood case, police have reminded people “to avoid any commentary or sharing of images that could compromise the victim’s right to lifelong anonymity, or risk prejudicing a live investigation with active proceedings.”
Since rising through the academy and making his senior debut for the Red Devils in 2019, Mason Greenwood has been seen as a bright prospect for the future. However, the player may have seen an end to his playing days as his future lies in jeopardy, if found guilty. Only signing a new, four-year deal last February, Manchester United earlier said the forward would not return to training or matches until further notice.
Releasing a statement on Sunday, Manchester United said the club became aware of images and allegations circulating on social media. The statement read, “Manchester United does not condone violence of any kind”. Although the club is aware of current events surrounding Greenwood, no comment will be made until the “facts have been established.”
Sporting giant, Nike released a statement: “We have suspended our relationship with Mason Greenwood. We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation.”