Despite top players expressing concerns about playing New York because of the COVID-19 outbreak, the US Open is to go ahead at Flushing Meadows at the end of the summer.
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has announced that the event will be held without fans from 31 August to 13 September.
The Open is held annually in New York City and last year’s event saw a record attendance of close to 740,000 spectators.
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said
”We’re excited about the US Open, (which) is going to be held in Queens, 31 August through 13 September. It will be held without fans, but you can watch it on TV – and I’ll take that,” Cuomo said.
“The tennis authorities are going to be taking extraordinary precautions, but that’s going to take place.”
Since March there has been no professional tennis tournaments due to Covid-19.
Wimbledon was cancelled for the first time since WWII and will now take place in from June 28 to July 11, 2021.