Man Found Guilty Of Assaulting Ex Man United Captain Roy Keane

0
360

A 43 year old man has been found guilty for assaulting former footballer Roy Keane at a Premier League back in September.

Scott Law from Waltham Abbey, Essex was charged with assaulting Keane on September 3 last year, where he told the pundit to “meet him outside”, after “banter turned more aggressive”. 

This incident happened following Arsenal’s 3-1 victory over Manchester United at the Emirates Stadium, where Keane was working as a pundit for Sky Sports, alongside former Manchester City player Micah Richards, who also witnessed the incident.

Footage of this altercation was shared on social media, showing Richards stepping in.

Afterwards, Roy Keane said that he was left “in shock” following the incident.

“I was hit” – Roy Keane speaks about incident

This row began when Keane and Richards were walking to do the final match analysis of Arsenal’s victory over Man United.

The trial at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court were also told about how Law allegedly headbutted Keane through the doors at the Emirates.

“There was lots of noise and shouting, as you would expect at a football match”, Keane told the court while giving evidence.

He continued: “I was just walking and, before I knew it, I was hit. I felt the contact and fell back through some doors”. 

“I was absolutely not expecting it. The only way I can describe it is that I was in shock. I didn’t expect it to happen, not when I was in my workplace”. 

The former Rep of Ireland captain also added that he suffered bruising on his chest and arms following the incident.

Defence 

Speaking on behalf of the accused, Scott Law’s legal team also claimed that this footage showed that Roy Keane had elbowed their client in the face.

Elsewhere, Law’s defence team also accused fellow pundit Micah Richards for saying that he saw the alleged headbutt because he was “Roy’s mate”, adding that he had become his “puppy” and “stooge”. 

In his evidence, Micah Richards dismissed these claims, stating that he “grappled” with Law following the alleged incident. He added that he was left in “disbelief” at what he saw.

“I felt sorry for Roy. Just because of the fact you’ve come to work, to do your job and you’ve been assaulted”, Richards told the court. “I could see he was physically shaken up. You do what any friend would do, or any colleague – step in and try to help the situation”. 

“It was a surreal moment. We weren’t going to a UFC match. We were at work”. 

“angry”

Scott Law who pleaded not guilty to these claims, said that Keane was “angry throughout the game”. 

Law who sat beneath the Sky Sports gantry on the day in question, also insisted that Keane “picked me out and started telling me to see him outside”. 

He also added that Roy “collided into him” after he had ventured out of the stadium to go to the toilet.

Law was then asked by Prosecutor Simon Jones KC: “Are you seriously saying that Roy Keane ran into the top of your head?”. 

A tearful Law replied: “I put my head down in a defensive manner to protect my face”. 

Mr Jones noted that Mr Law’s testimony had “changed dramatically” from his prepared statement that he had given to police the day after the incident.

In response to this, Mr Law said: “I’d had no sleep – I was guilty by media. It was the worst night of my life”. 

Law found guilty for Keane Assault

In giving his verdict, District Judge Angus Hamilton said that Mr Law was “untruthful about what happened” about the match.

He also stated: “There was no reason Mr Keane should have picked on him in particular”, adding that Keane was “was calm and not agitated” when he left the Sky studio.

Mr Hamilton insisted that Mr Keane’s alleged reputation as a “hard man of football” was “years ago and was confined to the football pitch”.

The Judge concluded: “I’m sure Mr Law assaulted Mr Keane”.

Scott Law did not react to this verdict.