1. There are calls for landlords to be up front about the rent they’re charging. Housing agency Threshold wants an independent registry to keep track of rental prices for individual properties. It says the database could make sure prices in rent pressure zones don’t go up by more than the 4% limit. The calls follow a new Daft report showing that national average rental costs have risen by over 10% in the past year to more than €1,200 a month. Read more here.
2. The prosecuting barrister in Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding’s trial has spent the morning re-examining the woman who claims they raped her. The Ireland and Ulster rugby players deny raping her at Jackson’s home in south Belfast following a night out in June 2016. Mr. Jackson claims he didn’t even have sex with her, while Mr. Olding claims she instigated a sex act on him when he walked in to the room. She has again denied their versions of what happened.
3. The Regency Hotel murder trial has been adjourned again until next week. 25-year-old Patrick Hutch of Champions Avenue in Dublin’s north inner city denies murdering David Byrne at a boxing weigh in, two years ago. Before the adjournment was announced, tributes were paid to one of the lead investigators in the case who died suddenly over the weekend at Ballymun Garda Station. Detective Superintendent Colm Fox was described in court as a gentleman and a true public servant.
4. Dogs Trust wants people to consider rehoming a dog based on their personality not just their looks this Valentines Day. The charity has removed all photographs of dogs seeking adoption from its website to highlight that they’re Not Just A Pretty Face. There will also be a match-making booth in the Dogs Trust Rehoming Centre in Finglas where members of the public can describe their perfect pooch so the team can help them meet their match.
5. Giorgio Chiellini believes Harry Kane has reached the same level as Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. The veteran Juventus defender has praised the Tottenham striker as they prepare to go head to head in the last 16 of the Champions League tonight. Kane has scored 32 goals in all competitions this season, but Juventus have conceded just once in their last 16 games. Kane says he is looking forward to another tussle with Chiellini.
6. The man at the centre of the Netflix series ‘Making a Murderer’ could face a fresh trial if an appeal is overturned. Steven Avery is serving a life sentence for the murder of a Theresa Halbach in Wisconsin in 2005, but new evidence has emerged since his conviction. Avery’s lawyer at the time has taken up a guest lecture position at the University of Limerick to teach a module at the law school.