Good morning, despite last night’s crazy winds this morning seems relatively calm or is it the calm before Storm Caroline as a snow and ice weather warning has been issued by Met Éireann! Top temperatures of around six degrees but it’s expected to get colder throughout the day – wrap up well!
1. Efforts to break the log-jam in the Brexit talks are set to intensify today. British negotiators are working on a new form of words to deal with the border issue. The original wording was vetoed by the DUP which is propping up Theresa May’s minority British government. The Taoiseach Leo Varadkar says he is open to anything that ensures there’s no hard border.
2. Leo Varadkar’s popularity as leader has risen amid the Brexit controversy. His approval rating has gone up 4 points to 53%, according to an opinion poll in The Irish Times. Fine Gael, is also experiencing an increase in support – its on 36%, an extra five points since the last poll in October. Fianna Fáil is down four to 25%, Sinn Féin is unchanged at 19%, while Labour hasn’t moved at 4%.
3. Eight states on the UN Security council are demanding an emergency meeting to discuss Donald Trump’s recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. The Palestinians, who also claim the city as their capital, say the move has destroyed the middle east peace process. Foreign Affairs Minister Simon Coveney says President Trump’s announcement is ‘very disappointing and difficult to understand’.
4. A snow and ice weather warning issued by Met Éireann comes into force later today. Forecasters say we’re in for bitterly cold conditions until Sunday. Drivers are being urged to slow down during the bad weather.
5. Liverpool eased into the knock-out phase of the Champions League for the first time in eight-years last night. Needing only a point to progress, they thrashed Spartak Moscow 7-0 at Anfield, with Philippe Coutinho netting a hat-trick.
6. A Leonardo da Vinci painting which became ‘the most expensive artwork ever sold’ last month will go on display in Abu Dhabi. Salavtor Mundi will be on show at the Louvre gallery there. Christie’s auction house sold it to an anonymous buyer in New York for €380M.