Good morning to you…In case you’ve forgotten (like most of us at Nova) today is Pancake Tuesday…Hope you enjoy some tasty treats! A cold day today with possibly some showers later on. Right now it’s two degrees…
1. Rents rose by over 10% across the country in 2017. New figures from Daft-dot-ie shows that people now pay on average €1,227 every month. Rents in the capital are €4,500 more a year than they were during the peak of the Celtic Tiger.
2. Oxfam is to be investigated by the British charity watchdog over the prostitution scandal engulfing the organisation. Its deputy chief executive has resigned, saying she takes “full responsibility” for the behaviour of staff in Haiti in 2011. Meanwhile Oxfam’s former head of safeguarding claims it received three allegations of child abuse in its shops.
3. London City Airport will reopen today after a World War Two bomb was found close to its runway. The device was discovered in the River Thames during building work on Sunday and led to the cancellation of all flights there yesterday. The bomb is being moved by Navy divers today who’ll carry out a controlled explosion.
4. Donald Trump Jr. says the actions of people who sent a suspicious package to his home are ‘truly disgusting’. His wife Vanessa Trump was rushed to hospital as a precaution after opening a letter at their home containing a white powder. New York Police later established that the substance wasn’t dangerous.
5. Eden Hazard reached 15 goals for the season as Chelsea brought to an end their winless run in the Premier League last night. The Belgian wizard scored twice as Chelsea brushed aside bottom team West Brom 3-0 at Stamford Bridge. The win moves Chelsea to within a point of third-placed Liverpool. While West Brom are beginning to look marooned at the bottom – they’re now seven-points from safety.
6. A new study’s suggesting eating slowly really can help you lose weight. Experts looked at 60,000 people with diabetes in Japan who had regular check-ups, and discovered people who don’t rush are 42% less likely to be obese. Snacking after dinner and eating within two hours of going to sleep are also linked to a higher risk of being overweight.