Altimage=

Noel Clarke Issues Apology As ITV Pulls Viewpoint Plug Amid Allegations

Avatar
0
187

ITV have cancelled Noel Clarke’s TV show Viewpoint, after allegations of sexual misconduct and harrasment were made against him.

Viewpoint had been aired on ITV across this week (April 26-30).

In a report from the Guardian newspaper, 20 women spoke out against the actor. A variety of allegations included bullying, sexual harrasment and unwanted sexual contact.

These allegations were initially denied by Clarke. But, he admitted to making inappropriate comments about one woman, for which he apologised for.

ITV confirmed that the Viewpoint Finale would be cancelled. However, they did reveal it would be available on the ITV Hub streaming service for a limted time.

ITV Statement

ITV issued said this in their statement.

“In light of the very serious nature of the allegations against Noel Clarke raised by 20 women in the Guardian’s report, ITV has decided it is no longer appropriate to broadcast the final episode of the drama Viewpoint on ITV main channel this evening”. 

Despite this, a trailer for the finale of Viewpoint aired during ad breaks for Good Morning Britain. This led to the channel receiving complaints on social media. ITV were accused of promoting Clarke’s show, despite the allegations made against him.

One person wrote, “Makes me think viewers for their prime time TV series is more important than abused women to ITV”. 

Following this news, Sky also revealed that they would be dropping Clarke from future projects. They also suspended production for his show Bulletproof.

“contrary to Bafta’s values”

The British Academy of Television and Film have also suspended Clarke’s membership and his award of Outstanding Contribution to Cinema award. Clarke won this earlier this month.

In a letter, Bafta said they were unaware of the allegations made against Clarke at the time. They said this, “No first-hand allegations were sent to us. Had the victims gone on record as they have with The Guardian, the award would have been suspended immediately. Noel Clarke’s counsel received a legal notice to this effect”.

They described the allegations as “contrary to Bafta’s values and everything it stands for”.

Clarke

Noel Clarke issued the following statement.

“In a 20-year career, I have put inclusivity and diversity at the forefront of my work and never had a complaint made against me”. 

“If anyone who has worked with me has ever felt uncomfortable or disrespected, I sincerely apologise. I vehemently deny any sexual misconduct or wrongdoing and intend to defend myself against these false allegations”. 

However since then, Noel Clarke has now said that he will be seeking “professional help”, apologising deeply for his actions.

The actor still “vehemently” denies any sexual misconduct or criminal behaviour.

Apologising to those affected, Clarke said that it has since become clear that “some of my actions have affected people in ways I did not intend or realise”.