An Bord Pleanala has agreed that it made a mistake in granting permission for more than 500 homes to be built next to a Dublin park.
After the development was approved earlier this year, people already living near St Anne’s Park in Clontarf argued the project would impact wildlife and a local sports club.
Today, the planning authority told a court it is prepared quash the permission.
The lands subject of the proceedings was formally owned by the Vincentian Fathers, trustees of the all-boys secondary school St Paul’s College. Local sports club have also used the pitches.
Local Councillor John Lyons believes it should never have been given in the first place.
“It was an appaling decision to grant the developer planning for over 500 housing units”, he said.
Councillor Lyons described St. Anne’s Park as “the cream of the crop”, and argued that allowing the development to proceed “would have been a crime against the common good, our common shared space and our collective well-being as a city”.
Councillor Lyons admitted that Dublin is in desperate need of affordable housing, but said it should be built in areas which are designated for homes.
Labour Party representative for Dublin Bay North, Aodhán Ó Ríordáin has welcomed the admission by An Bord Pleanála that they made an error in granting planning permission to build 536 units on St. Anne’s Park.
Senator Ó Ríordáin said:
“The admission of An Bord Pleanála in the High Court today that they made an error in granting permission to the construct 536 units on playing fields adjacent to St Anne’s Park is a hugely significant development.
“The community has been completely vindicated in seeking this Judicial Review and both ‘I Love St Anne’s’ and the Clontarf Residents’ Association are to be congratulated.
“The reasons for An Bord Pleanála’s position will be made known in court on Monday July 16th but what is clear is that the application in its current form has effectively been quashed.
“Major questions have to be asked about the entire Strategic Housing Development process as An Bord Pleanála are admitting an error despite the fact that they received over 1,200 objections and the CEO of Dublin City Council and all 15 local councillors advocated for the application to be rejected.
“If this Judicial Review had not been sought there would be bulldozers on the playing fields of St. Anne’s right now.
“The fight will continue and funds will be needed and that’s who delighted to have arranged a ‘John Giles’ night on July 13th in Raheny United to help this ongoing campaign.”
— #343 (@naoiseomuiri) June 28, 2018