Three separate online sushi takeaways, operating from bedrooms in North Dublin, were shut down by The Food Safety Authority Ireland.
Koi Sushi, Nagoya Sushi and Kyoto Sushi were shut down on October 22nd. They had been operating from upstairs bedrooms in a house in Santry.
Health inspectors staged an immediate inspection after discovering the three unregistered sushi takeaways advertising online.
The three separate takeaways shared the same 1 Shanvarna Road address posed a grave and immediate danger to public health. The fakeaways were producing raw fish with cooked rice, without hygiene or temperature controls.
Inspectors found breaches of food safety controls and record keeping. Food was being produced, processed and distributed in an unsatisfactory and unclean environment.
Sushi is a very high-risk product as it contains raw fish. It must be kept chilled to reduce the growth of dangerous bacteria. The fakeaways operated “without a food safety management system” and “no evidence of traceability of raw ingredients” the health inspectors found.
They have been told to close after a joint operation between the HSE and the Food Safety Authority of Ireland.
“No safety management system in place for the production of Sushi“
Inspectors said they had found “no safety management system in place for the production of Sushi” on the premises. FSAI chief executive Dr Pamela Byrne also added:
“Running a food business that hasn’t been registered and supervised is totally unacceptable and poses a very serious risk to consumers’ health.
“In these instances, the unregistered businesses were producing sushi without any hygiene or temperature controls.
“Sushi is a very high-risk product because it contains raw fish which must be kept chilled to reduce the growth of dangerous bacteria.
“It can also contain cooked rice, which is a ready-to-eat product that must be kept chilled.
“In these instances, the absence of a food safety management system, no monitoring of the cold chain and no evidence of traceability of raw ingredients posed a grave and immediate danger to consumer health.”