Two Further Covid-19 Deaths Along With Four New Cases Confirmed

News
0
25

The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been informed that a total of 2 people with COVID-19 have died. There have now been a total of 1,717 COVID-19 related deaths in Ireland.

As of midnight Sunday 21st June the HPSC has been notified of 4 confirmed cases of COVID-19. There is now a total of 25,383 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland. The HSE is working to identify any contacts the patients may have had to provide them with information and advice to prevent further spread.

The COVID-19 Dashboard provides up-to-date information on the key indicators of COVID-19 in the community.

Dr. Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, said; “Yesterday, more than 183,000 new cases of COVID-19 were reported globally, the most in a single day according to the WHO.

“In Ireland, in the last 14 days over a third of new confirmed cases are in young people under the age of 35. This is not a disease that solely affects older people. No one is immune, everyone is responsible for limiting the spread of COVID-19.”

Dr. Ronan Glynn, Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health said; “While it is encouraging to see an increase in the number of people wearing face coverings in public places, 41% is a significantly lower uptake when compared to our other recommended behaviours such as hand washing (92%) and physical distancing (91%). Face coverings should be worn when it is difficult to maintain physical distancing, for instance in shops and on public transport.”

According to Amárach research, conducted on behalf of the Department of Health, there has been a further increase in the percentage of adults wearing face coverings, up from 34% last week to 41% this week, across all demographic groups.

48% of females and 33% of males report wearing a face covering in public places The majority (56%) of adults feel that the worst of the pandemic is behind us.