A second case of Coronavirus has been confirmed in the Republic of Ireland. The patient is a woman in the east of the country who recently travelled back from Italy.
Department of Health chief medical officer Dr Tony Holohan said, “We’re confirming that Ireland has diagnosed one new case of Covid-19.”
“The case arises in a female in the east of the country and is connected with travel from northern Italy We have now 397 people in total who have been tested as of Monday, March 2,” Mr Holohan said.
This case is not associated with the previously identified case. Meanwhile, the president of the Irish College of GPs, Dr Mary Favier says the second Irish case is not surprising.
“Inevitably, we were going to get a few (new cases). As long as they have had a travel exposure, it’s quite reassuring that containment is working.”
We have a 2nd confirmed case of #Covid19 in Ireland. While not unexpected, please continue to take advice from @roinnslainte & @HSELive on how best to protect your health. A number of decisions taken by National Public Health Emergency Team today. Thanks to all working so hard
— Simon Harris TD (@SimonHarrisTD) March 3, 2020
Earlier today, the government said that St Patrick’s Day parades or other large public events would not be cancelled and this has not yet changed. The government is expected to introduce guidelines on mass gatherings in the coming days.