Animated band Gorillaz have announced details of their European tour for next summer as their new album was released this week.
‘Strange Timez’ is the new album from the band and is a part of their ongoing ‘Song Machine’ series.
The series began in January of this year with the track ‘Momentary Bliss’. The song, or episode, as they present it, was accompanied by skits and a video. In the video, virtual member of the band Russel Hobbs says it is “a whole new way of doing what we do, Gorillaz breaking the mould ’cause the mould got old.”
The seven episodes have now been released in a traditional album format. There are 12 songs on the standard issue and 17 songs on the deluxe edition. The album features collaborations from Robert Smith of The Cure, St. Vincent, Elton John and many more. Multiple packages including vinyl, CDs, t shirts and memorabilia are available to buy from here. It is available to stream on Spotify and iTunes.
You can check out their episode with Robert Smith below.
Along with the new album, the Gorillaz have also announced a new short summer tour in celebration of the new album. They have revealed they are to play four concerts in June, July and August next summer.
The band will play Cologne and Berlin before hitting up the Rockhal in Luxembourg. The band will end the tour with a show at London’s 02 Arena. Fans will be hoping for more concerts to be announced. As of now, there are no plans to announce further dates, due to the ongoing pandemic.
However, before the band hit the road, they will be perform a special virtual concert in December to celebrate their new album. The show is called ‘SONG MACHINE LIVE’ and sees Gorillaz resident animator Jamie Hewlett team up with Damon Albarn and the virtual band mates, Russel, Noodle and Murdoch perform.
It has also been announced that there will be contributions from guest collaborators. While there has been no official announcement, it is expected that artists who featured on the album will make an appearance at the virtual concert.
In a press release, the Gorillaz said ” ‘Song Machine’ is the ongoing and ever-evolving process which sees Gorillaz release new episodes throughout 2020, recorded and captured live in Kong Studios and beyond, and made available as and when they are ready”.
Ticket information for the virtual concert can be found here.
Song Machine, Season One: Strange Timez deluxe version track list:
- ‘Strange Timez’ – featuring Robert Smith
- ‘The Valley of the Pagans’ – featuring Beck
- ‘The Lost Chord’ – featuring Leee John
- ‘Pac-Man’ – featuring ScHoolboy Q
- ‘Chalk Tablet Towers’ – featuring St.Vincent
- ‘The Pink Phantom’ – featuring Elton John and 6LACK
- ‘Aries’ – featuring Peter Hook and Georgia
- ‘Friday 13th’ – featuring Octavian
- ‘Dead Butterflies’ – featuring Kano and Roxani Arias
- ‘Désolé’ – featuring Fatoumata Diawara
- ‘Momentary Bliss’ – featuring slowthai and Slaves
- ‘Opium’ – featuring EARTHGANG
- ‘Simplicity’ – featuring Joan as the Policewoman
- ‘Severed Head’ – featuring Goldlink and Unknown Mortal Orchestra
- ‘With Love To An Ex’ – featuring Moonchild Sanelly
- ‘MLS’ – featuring JPEGMAFIA and CHAI
- ‘How Far?’ – featuring Keith Allen and Skepta