Garda Injured In Dublin Shooting Incident


Update: 5:38pm – Friday, December 8th 2017

Two women, aged 47 and 24, have been arrested in connection with a shooting incident in a house at Barnwell Drive, Ballymun on the Thursday, December 7th.

Both have been released without charge and a file is now being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Investigating Gardaí are continuing to question a man in his 40s who was arrested at the scene as part of the investigation, he is detained under Section 30 of the Offences against the State Act, 1939 at Ballymun Garda Station.

A second male, aged 18 years, was also arrested on Friday morning in connection with the case and is currently detained under the provisions of Section 50 of Criminal Justice Act, 2007 at Ballymun Garda Station.

Speaking this afternoon at Ballymun Garda Station, Detective Superintendent Colm Fox said: We are appealing to members of the public who were in the vicinity of 1 Barnwell Drive between 6pm on the 6th December and 7am on the 7th December, to contact the incident room at Ballymun Garda Station.”

“In particular, we would like to hear from taxi drivers, take away food outlets who may have delivered to this address or anyone else who may have had reason to call to this address.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact Ballymun Garda Station at 01 666 4400 or the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111.

. . . . .

Original – Thursday, December 7th 2017

Gardaí have revealed an officer was among the injured in a shooting incident in Dublin this morning.

During a planned search of a house on Barnwell Drive, Ballymun, two people were injured following shots being fired at the scene which occurred as Gardaí tried to gain entry to the house.

It is understood Gardaí were carrying out a drugs raid in the early hours when a shot was fired from inside the house injuring a Garda from the Emergency Response Unit.

Gardaí returned fire which is when a man inside the house was also shot.

A Garda and a male civilian sustained wounds, but their injuries are thought to be non life threatening as they were both treated at the scene by trained Gardaí and Dublin Fire Brigade.

Investigations will continue throughout the day while GSOC have been notified of the incident.