The manhunt continues today for a man suspected of a mass shooting in Lewiston, Maine, US.
Robert Card is suspected of killing at least 18 people and injuring 13 when he opened fire in a restaurant and bowling alley. Three people remain in critical condition.
The attack is the worst mass killing in the history of the state of Maine, and the deadliest mass shooting in the US since the Uvalde school massacre in May, 2022.
Police are urging locals to shelter in place and report any suspicious activity as the suspect remains at large.
There is an arrest warrant out for Robert Card (40) for eight counts of murder, authorities have said. Eight of the victims have so far been identified and their families have been informed.
Card is a certified firearms instructor and a member of the US Army Reserves. Police have said he should be considered armed and dangerous.
According to the Gun Violence Archive, this is the 566th incident, where four or more people are shot, excluding the shooter, in the United States this year.
The search, which began on Thursday, first focused on the property of Card’s relatives.
Richard Goddard, a neighbour of the property where the search was conducted told AP News: “This is his stomping ground. He grew up here. He knows every ledge to hide behind, every thicket.”
A US official told AP News that Card recently underwent a mental health evaluation in July after his behaviour became erratic while with his army reserve regiment.
It is reported that a bulletin was sent to police across the US after the shooting which said that Card had been committed to a mental health facility for two weeks during the summer after “hearing voices and threats to shoot up” a military base.
President Joe Biden said in a statement:
“Once again, our nation is in mourning after yet another senseless and tragic mass shooting. Today, Jill and I are praying for the Americans who’ve lost their lives, for those still in critical care, and for the families, survivors, and community members enduring shock and grief.”
He added: “While we have made progress on gun safety through the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act, the two dozen executive actions I’ve taken, and the establishment of the first-ever White House Office of Gun Violence Prevention, it’s simply not enough.”