Mason Greenwood is leaving Manchester United after an internal inquiry lasting six-months.
The Red Devils club said it had been mutually agreed that “it would be most appropriate” for him to resume his career away from Old Trafford and “we will now work with Mason to achieve that outcome”.
Charges against Greenwood of attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and assault occasioning actual bodily harm were dropped.
United said in a statement: “We have taken into account the wishes, rights and perspective of the alleged victim along with the club’s standards and values, and sought to collate as much information and context as possible. This has required us to proceed with sensitivity and care to obtain evidence not in the public domain, including from those with direct knowledge of the case.
“Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged. That said, as Mason publicly acknowledges today, he has made mistakes which he is taking responsibility for.
“All those involved, including Mason, recognise the difficulties with him recommencing his career at Manchester United. It has therefore been mutually agreed that it would be most appropriate for him to do so away from Old Trafford, and we will now work with Mason to achieve that outcome.”
The 21-year-old hasn’t played since 22 January 2022, in a 1-0 win over West Ham at Old Trafford. He was arrested that month and in October of that year the charges were brought.
When the charges were dropped the Crown Prosecution Service said there was “no longer a realistic prospect of conviction” after key witnesses withdrew their cooperation from the investigation.
Greenwood said on Monday: “I want to start by saying I understand that people will judge me because of what they have seen and heard on social media, and I know people will think the worst. I was brought up to know that violence or abuse in any relationship is wrong, I did not do the things I was accused of, and in February I was cleared of all charges.
“However, I fully accept I made mistakes in my relationship, and I take my share of responsibility for the situations which led to the social media post. I am learning to understand my responsibilities to set a good example as a professional footballer, and I’m focused on the big responsibility of being a father, as well as a good partner.
“Today’s decision has been part of a collaborative process between Manchester United, my family and me. The best decision for us all, is for me to continue my football career away from Old Trafford, where my presence will not be a distraction for the club. I thank the club for their support since I joined aged seven. There will always be a part of me which is United.
United had intended to make an announcement before their first Premier League game but delayed their decision to continue their consultation process. There were plans to involve their England Women’s World Cup players – Mary Earps, Ella Toone and Katie Zelem – who reached Sunday’s final.
Greenwood has played 129 times for United, scoring 35 times, and has made one England appearance.