Scottish giants Celtic could be set to face a multi-million-pound damages claim, writes The Athletic.
Its being reported today that victims of historical child sexual abuse at Celtic Boys Club plan to launch a “class action” against Celtic Football Club.
Up to 25 victims of historical abuse at the now defunct boys clubs have consolidated resources to begin to mount a US-style legal action, in one of the first cases of its kind in Scotland.
The football club has always maintained it was separate from the Boys Club, while several senior figures at the Boys Club have been jailed for sexual abuse.
Thompsons Solicitors represents abuse survivors placed a notice in the Daily Record newspaper on Tuesday to request a court to make an order to grant permission for group proceedings to be brought by or on behalf of various clients against Celtic.
It also appealed for other victims who have not previously made a claim to come forward.
Patrick McGuire, of Thompsons, told the Daily Record of how truly extrordinary this set of circumstances could prove to be “This is completely unique. I know of no other group actions, or involving such a large number of claimants, against any other club in Europe.”
Celtic said it was “continuing to deal with these sensitive matters” in conjunction with its advisers. The club has previously said that it is “appalled by any form of historic abuse”.
A spokesperson for the club told BBC Scotland: “The club again expresses its sincere sympathy, regret and sorrow to those affected and reiterates that it will stand by its responsibilities, respecting the due process of the law.”