Pre-trial matters in an action against the billionaire singer businesswoman Rihanna over alleged “malicious falsehoods” in an email and phone call have been resolved.
47-year-old Dana Kavanagh of Woodbank Drive, Valley Park, Finglas, Dublin is suing Rihanna a.k.a.”Robyn Fenty aka Rihanna” of Lafayette Street, New York, U.S.A.
Ms Kavanagh claims she was caused mental distress and emotional suffering because of her assertion that a false and malicious email sent on July 11th, 2013, about her partner Geoffrey Keating who was Rihanna’s head of security in 2012 and 2013.
She is also suing over a phone call the singer allegedly made to Ms Kavanagh’s sister-in-law in relation to the same matter.
She claims that because of the allegations, her and her husband’s business ;Geoff Keating Media;, had been destroyed. Rihanna has denied the claims.
The matter was briefly mentioned before the High Court on Tuesday. Kelley Smith SC for the singer said that two pretrial motions, including one concerning the discovery of certain materials had been resolved been the parties.
Previously lawyers acting for Rihanna asked the court to set aside service of Ms Kavanagh’s proceedings on her at her New York home claiming it was not done in accordance with law.
Ms Kavanagh opposed the application. In a 2018 judgment Ms Justice Miriam O’Regan said she was satisfied Rihanna had discharged the burden of proof in relation to her claim that service of the documents was not valid as a matter of New York or US federal law.
However, the judge found there were “just grounds” to declare the service of court documents on Rihanna was affected in accordance with the rules of the superior courts here.