radio nova logo
radio nova logo

Food For Thought As Beloved Catering Trolley Set To Return On Dublin And Galway Trains

By Dalton Mac Namee
21/08/2026
Est. Reading: 2 minutes

Loading

Loading

Irish Rail's much loved catering trolley is to make a comeback to intercity train services at Dublin and Galway from next Monday, it has been confirmed.

This pilot service is to run for six months across three services each way on a daily basis, potentially extending it to more services and other routes during the course of the pilot. It will be run by Irish company, Sambos.ie.

On Monday to Saturday, these services will  run as follows:

  • 7.35am Heuston to Galway, 11.05am Galway to Heuston
  • 9.25am Heuston to Galway, 1.05pm Galway to Heuston
  • 11.30am Heuston to Galway, 3.05pm Galway to Heuston

For Sunday, the services are:

  • 8am Heuston to Galway, 11am Galway to Heuston
  • 10.30am Heuston to Galway, 1.40pm Galway to Heuston
  • 11.40am Heuston to Galway, 3pm Galway to Heuston

It was announced that pilot service will also operate without public service obligation funding to help determine the potential viability on the intercity network.

Previously, the catering services on Irish Rail had been suspended due to the Covid-19 pandemic, and it is one of the few services which was reinstated.

Since the pandemic, refreshment services had returned on the Dublin to Cork route, and Dublin to Belfast routes. It did not return for the Sligo commuter service, which runs for three and a half hours. The route from Heuston station to Galway takes two and a half hours.

In a statement, an Irish Rail spokesperson said the company appreciates the customer's value regarding the on-board catering services.

“With record demand for our train services, we appreciate that it has been frustrating that it has been limited to Dublin to Cork (also benefiting most Limerick and Kerry customers) and Dublin to Belfast routes over recent years", they said.

“We will undertake this pilot with Sambos.ie to help determine the potential for more extensive catering operation on a commercial basis, which will be decided upon completion of the pilot, in consultation with the NTA". (Quotes according The Journal.ie)

Written by Dalton Mac Namee

Dalton Mac Namee is a content writer for Nova.ie and a freelance GAA reporter from Louth, Ireland.

Share it with the world...

Tune in to our newsletter and never miss a beat!

Similar News

Copyright © 2026 All Rights Reserved Proudly Designed by Wikid
Advertisment
crosschevron-down