Three teenagers are in custody this afternoon after being arrested in relation to an assault of a schoolboy in Co. Meath.
Gardaí are treating Monday’s incident in the town of Navan as a hate crime. Officers arrested the three teenagers in various parts of the wider Navan area this morning.
They’re being held at Garda Stations across Meath. The incident came to light after horrific video footage was shared on social media.
Minister for Education Norma Foley says she spoke with the school earlier this week:
”What has happened is unacceptable, it should never happen. It is not a reflection of all the wonderful young people who attend our schools, nor it is a reflection of an individual school, because, as I say, we are a constituent of many parts.”
The boy needed hospital treatment for serious facial injuries. Speculation suggests that some of the apparent injuries are very significant.
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar says he’s been in contact with the boy and his family:
”I had a chance to speak with the young man and his mother over a video call yesterday, just to express my solidarity and support and they were happy that the gardaí had engaged within the school too.”
In a statement, Gardai have again asked the public to not share the video out of respect to the victim.