radio nova logo
radio nova logo

Will Ambulances Strike Again? Labour Court To Hold Talks Today

By Louise Ducrocq
18/05/2026
Est. Reading: 2 minutes

Loading

Ambulance Ireland

Loading

Fresh talks aimed at preventing further ambulance strikes are due to take place today as unions and the HSE meet at the Labour Court in an effort to resolve an escalating pay dispute involving frontline workers at the National Ambulance Service.

Representatives from SIPTU and Unite are set to meet HSE management following last week’s 24-hour strike, which the health service said had a “significant impact” on ambulance operations across the country.

A planned 48-hour strike due to begin tomorrow has now been temporarily stood down to allow space for negotiations at the Labour Court.

However, unions have warned that industrial action has not been called off entirely, with plans still in place for a further 72-hour strike beginning on May 26 if no agreement is reached.

A work-to-rule involving frontline ambulance staff also remains ongoing.

The dispute centres on union claims that ambulance workers are not being properly compensated for increased responsibilities and workloads, with SIPTU and Unite accusing the HSE of failing to implement recommendations from an independent review into staff pay scales.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by SIPTU (@oursiptu)

Speaking ahead of today’s talks, SIPTU Ambulance Sector Organiser John McCamley said unions were hopeful progress could finally be made.

“We are optimistic that we can find a resolution,” he said.

McCamley added that the Labour Court discussions offered an opportunity for both sides to engage openly without preconditions attached.

The HSE welcomed the decision to postpone this week’s planned strike action and confirmed it would continue participating in the Labour Court process.

“The HSE will continue to engage in the Labour Court process on Monday,” a spokesperson said.

But Unite warned that workers remain prepared to resume strike action if negotiations fail to deliver meaningful movement.

“Neither the HSE nor the Minister for Health should be under any illusion, industrial action has been deferred, not withdrawn,” said Unite Regional Officer Eoin Drummey.

“In the absence of meaningful progress tomorrow, our members remain fully prepared to return to the picket lines.”

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by SIPTU (@oursiptu)

The HSE has argued that previous proposals aimed at resolving the dispute would have resulted in pay increases for workers, but unions rejected the offers.

Union representatives say those proposals included unacceptable conditions, including changes to existing allowances and working arrangements.

Last Tuesday’s strike caused widespread disruption to ambulance services, with management forced to prioritise emergency and life-threatening cases while some scheduled patient transport services were affected.

The outcome of today’s Labour Court talks is now likely to determine whether further nationwide ambulance strikes go ahead later this month.

Louise Ducrocq

Written by Louise Ducrocq

Louise is an expert content creator, and online author for Radio Nova. She's evolved in a few different fields, including mental health and travel, and is now excited to be part of the wonderful word of Radio.

Share it with the world...

Tune in to our newsletter and never miss a beat!

Similar News

Copyright © 2026 All Rights Reserved Proudly Designed by Wikid
crosschevron-down